Current Events‎ > ‎

CYC-E / Milltown Sailing Challenge Cup

posted May 22, 2017, 11:20 PM by Caolan O'Domhnaill   [ updated May 22, 2017, 11:27 PM ]

   On Saturday, May 20th, seven boats from Milltown made their way to Edmonds to take part in the second annual Challenge Cup between the CYC-Edmonds club and our own MSA club.  The format of the Challenge Cup is we race one race with a three hour time limit.  The boats are divided into two fleets of Non-Flying Sails and Flying Sails.  The combined times of the top three boats for each club are combined to determine the winner.  Racing was scheduled to begin at 2:00 pm.

   Saturday morning dawned clear and warm.  As we left the marina, there was a northerly blowing at 10 to 14 knots and many of us used that opportunity to unroll the sails and reach across to Mukilteo with hopes the wind would also be blowing in Puget Sound.  Of course, the wind went flat as we rounded the Mukilteo Landing and headed down past Possession Point and on into Edmonds.  Seven boats from Milltown made the trip.  Before the skipper's meeting we aligned ourselves with: Manutea, Endless, Mei Li, and Bob in the Flying Sails class.  Ardea, My Sunshine, and Sweet Sue made up the Non-Flying class.  CYC-E countered with six of their boats in the Flying class and four boats in the Non-Flying class for a total of 17 boats racing.

    We headed out to the starting line and the wind was blowing to the west and north of the starting area.  The race committee wisely chose to delay the start by ten minutes, allowing a few more zephyrs to creep in around the start line.  The course was a simple windward-leeward with the windward mark at Scatchet Head buoy.  The Non-Flying class started first.  The starting line was heavily favored on the committee boat end.  All the boats got off to a clean start and shortly after the start the fleet divided with some boats heading north and the rest continuing west.  On this day, the boats that chose to go west arrived at the turning mark first.  Spinnakers and whisker poles were quickly deployed for the run back to the finish.  About half way down the last leg, the wind filled in very nicely and the crews had a strong finish.  I actually saw one Thunderbird (who shall remain nameless) broach shortly before the finish.  They recovered quickly, so "no harm, no foul". 

    After the race, the skippers and crew gathered at the local tavern for refreshments, food, comparing notes, and a little bragging.  When the final results were tallied, CYC-Edmonds won the day.  There is something to be said for local knowledge and fast boats.  It is a tough combination to beat.  CYC-Edmonds were terrific hosts and did a great job overall.  I'm personally looking forward to returning the favor next year on our home waters.

 Dave Motter

MSA Race Fleet Captain